31 January 2011

Dear U,

Once upon a Wednesday off-of-work, my Cousin and I lounged, watching the food channel.  The topic: business people in India ordering lunch. 
 
Every day, city dwellers in India order millions of lunches.  A professional will order lunch from an agency and a hot meal will magically appear at lunchtime.  This magic is really a complex web of rural cooks (mainly women), cargo cars of trains (mainly commuter), and delivery people (mainly owners of bicycles, carts, wagons).  Millions of lunches - hot, homemade, here when expected.
 
Tonight, over leftovers - palak paneer, butter chicken, jasmine rice, nan - I read an email from a dear friend who'd found formal, taxes withheld, record your hours, employment.  He's exploring a new challenge.  I licked saffron colored sauce from my finger.  
 
My present work is growing stale - it's time for a new stack of crackers.  I realized, I'm ready for something entirely different - a job that I love!  Here are some ideas:
  • Travel writer or writer who travels
  • Observer of people or a person who frequents cafes
  • Full-time student
  • Interviewer of people in disappearing cultures
  • Project coordinator for an NGO
  • Oral historian
  • Anything to do with the ICTJ
  • Grant Writer/reviewer, or office manager for a 501c - whatevs...
  • Accomplished novelist who takes very long walks, writes entertaining letters to friends, and reviews cookbooks on the side.
I'll sleep on it - later I'll rummage for a crispy and crunchy new job.  Perhaps I'll discover my vocation!  Goodnight moon,

Lindy  

1 comment:

Ivan Badbear Gaiser said...

i like the first and the last one for myself...